Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Inspiration Everywhere: The Delta In-flight Safety Videos

On my way back from a great AATF Convention in New Orleans.  That was my first time giving any kind of presentation at that event, even though I've attended fairly regularly.  Thanks to all the participants in my session for your support, feedback, wonderful questions, and, hopefully, a continuous sharing of ideas and resources online and next year in Saguenay! #AATF15!

I just wanted to share this little nugget.  For those who've read Dave Burgess's Teach Like a Pirate, we know that creativity isn't some ethereal gift that some are born with and others lack. Creativity is a skill that is cultivated in two primary ways a) by asking good questions to discern what is possible and b) by developing a habit of noticing things in order to remember them later when the right question arises!

So, here's me noticing something great:

On my flight home from the convention, I saw the in-flight safety video from Delta Airlines. (Click here if the embedded video doesn't want to work.)




Why do I post this? The (ok, sure) important safety demonstration that happens at the beginning of a flight is often ignored by even somewhat experienced fliers.  The goal (clearly stated at the beginning and end of the video) is for passengers to pay attention.

The vehicle (#punintended) to grab our attention?  Humour!  I observed myself and those around me actually watching the video! Those who were already engrossed in The Tipping Point (*raises hand*) and other pursuits heard some giggling and looked up at the screen.  The result: the entire planeful of people viewed the safety demonstration from beginning to end.

Hopefully, the connection to the flipped classroom is self-evident: a big determiner in students' compliance with watching video lessons is to make videos that are engaging and have the added effect of ¨gathering the lost sheep¨ who hadn't planned on it.  Next time I fly Delta, I'll be interested to see what's new!  In the meantime, ¨More cats!¨

No comments:

Post a Comment