Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Flipping Vocab at the Advanced Level

Yikes! I realize I haven't posted in quite a while.  The fact is, this year's classes have been going so, so well, I haven't felt compelled to blab about them.

Since most of the successes in French I are largely due to it just being the second time through, I thought I'd mention a few improvements that have been happening in French 3 Honors.

While my juniors don't have 1:1 tech yet, I did decide to try a few flipped lessons with them.  Although grammar is the easiest type of lesson to flip, I have been trying to use more deductive & peer learning with grammar anyhow, and that pretty much takes the place of flipping, functionally anyway.

As with French I, I chose to prioritize the vocabulary lessons for flipping because they are my biggest time-suck. In the past, I have spent a day or even two merely introducing a new vocabulary set.  Yuck! Especially at this level, students are able to do so much more than just copy down a list into their notes. For juniors, I need something with higher-order thinking.

Here's what I wound up doing. I liked it. Kids liked it & it made them responsible for their learning.

Video lesson (what I would have done in class anyway):

Note sheet:


Simple & elegant.  Kids had to watch the video and categorize the vocabulary.  This strategy was so successful that I repeated it for the remaining vocab lists in Semester 1.



No comments:

Post a Comment