Thursday, December 12, 2013

Changes for Semester 2

With the rush of finals and projects and so many speaking tests close together, I have a few things I want to examine.

I initially set weighted grades as:

25
*Participation: All participation is graded objectively using various rubrics & self-assessments.
15
Classwork (collected worksheets, packets, short writings)
25
Projects, Presentations, J’aime le français
20
Assessments: Quizzes, Tests, Speaking Quizzes, & Speaking Tests
15
**Homework (Flipped video lessons + follow-up/check-up activities)
100


My thoughts on that now are this:

  •   I need a more systematic and regular way of scoring participation if I am weighing so heavily.  I still agree with the 25% weight, and I think the grades reflect participation, but I usually like to document that a bit better.  Perhaps I need to schedule on the unit calendars what I will be doing for participation grades on any given day.
  • I think I may weigh tests and quizzes separately going forward. Students need the little added pressure of a more-heavily weighted summative assessment in order to stay motivated to address deficits I identified in their speaking quizzes.  As it stands, a bad test grade doesn't do much.
  • Projects might be weighted too heavily. I don't assign that many projects, so one good grade or one bad grade has too great an effect on the overall grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment