Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Standards-based Assessment

With PERA breathing down our necks here in Illinois (and TMI for me from all the trainings this year), we're really making an effort in this French program to have standards-based, skills-based assessments.

As descriptive and detailed as the ACTFL stuff is, none of it seem to be directly usable as classroom rubric. In my opinion.

The best resource we've discovered so far is from the Foreign Language Educators of New Jersey.  They have published online, for free some really great rubrics using the language of the standards.

The focus in French I has been to assess interpersonal speaking almost exclusively.  I use the NJ rubric called "Interpersonal-Novice" for speaking quizzes now, but we are trying to tweak a segment of the "Interpersonal Speaking Rubric" that spans from Novice Low to Intermediate Low for use in French 1 and 2.

It's been really energizing from a PLC perspective to focus on these rubrics and on standards-based assessment in general.  I feel like we're approaching the English I PLC in terms of quality assessments. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment